While energy-efficient bulbs have revolutionised lighting, there are other simple ways to reduce your lighting use and costs. Although some changes might take time, they will offer long term benefits in reducing energy usage.
Be brighter in your two storey home with these 10 Bright Ways to Save on Lighting.
1. Reduce the Wattage – An overly lit room can make you feel like you are in a factory or office. Choose bulbs with wattage that matches both the purpose of the room and the atmosphere you are trying to create.
2. Avoid Multiple Fittings – Trading a single incandescent light for multiple lights with low-wattage bulbs is not energy efficient. The more lights you have installed regardless of the fact they are low-wattage, the more power you use.
3. Install Dimmers – Dimmers help reduce the amount of electricity a light uses, while increasing the life of low-voltage lighting (halogen downlights, for example). When buying bulbs, check that they work with a dimmer.
4. Use Lamps – Electrical lamps give you ample light at a lower cost than an overhead light. It also enhances the ambience of a room and provides focused light for tasks – great for studying or working in an at home office.
5. Install Motion Detectors – If you are opting for security lighting outdoors, ensure they have built-in motion sensors (or timers) so they only operate when needed.
6. Go Solar – Illuminating paths with solar lamps outside (fitted with batteries that store energy from the sun) is a very efficient way to make use of the sun while increasing navigation around the home at night time.
7. Keep Lights Clean – A dusty light bulb or dirty lampshade can obstruct as much as half the light it produces. Always dust the bulbs and wipe or wash lamp shades regularly.
8. Go Natural – Make use of the existing architectural elements in your home, or build upon it. Install skylights in darker rooms, or position the rooms and spaces where you spend most time during the day to capture a large share of daylight. Even opting for sheer curtains or blinds can help too.
9. Turn the Lights Off – Always unplug appliances as soon as you stop using them. This advice is absolute key to saving on use and costs.
10. Use Multiple Switches – When installing lighting in a large open-plan space, install multiple switches to cover different areas. That way you can easily restrict your use of lighting to the specific area.
For more energy saving tips, read our How to Be Energy Efficient in your Two Storey Home to follow on from our 10 Bright Ways To Save On Lighting Costs.
Copyright 2019 Express Living Homes, All rights reserved