Customising your structural designs are a fantastic way to personalise your home to suit your lifestyle. A highly individual design can seem like a good idea at the time, however, it can be costly both when building and selling the home. Designing a two storey house that is unique AND functional, will save you time and money in the event of resale.
The eyes sell a property. Often the price of a house on the market is more likely to be influenced by the aesthetics and functionality of the home, than by the quality of the materials used to create it. Ultimately, a functional floor plan can determine the value of a home. However, this is also an area that most people are unfamiliar with.
After consulting with Express’ experts who deal with floor plans on a daily basis, we’ve isolated some essential advice that will help you when you’re designing your very own two storey home.
Design tips for now and the future.
- Design around the site and location. Thankfully, Express Living Homes Living sales consultants go through intensive training so that they are well equipped to advise you on how to achieve a house design that matches your lifestyle.
- Consider the solar orientation of your property to create a house that feels larger and is complimented by the elements. This not only makes the house feel lighter and more spacious, it also increases cooling and heating efficiencies. The experts at Express are here to help you optimise your floorplan.
- Ensure that the house flows and is easy to furnish. If rooms are designed poorly, it can be difficult to find appropriate spaces for large sized furnishings. At Express Living Homes Living all of our designs go through a rigorous testing process by professional designers to ensure maximum functionality – BEFORE your home is built.
Design choices to be wary of.
- Is there sufficient space between the fence and the house?
- Is there glazing to the northern side of the building to allow important winter light to penetrate the home?
- Avoid doors to bedrooms or bathrooms coming directly off shared spaces or living areas – you don’t want to be distracted by your washing machine while you’re watching a movie.
- Avoid being fixated on bedroom sizes as where the bed is located and the surrounding space is a better indicator of functionality than size.
The expert team at Express Living Homes Living work with you to ensure that your home is designed to suit your lifestyle requirements, while increasing value in every step of the process. Follow these tips and you should find that your new home is more functional for you and your family, while increasing the value of your property if it should come to resale.
Have a look at some of our favourite, functional double storey home designs.
The Ascari home design exhibits seamless connectivity between the kitchen, dining and living areas.
The Tranquility home design has a spacious living/dining room, flowing effortlessly into the outdoor entertaining area.
The Entertainer home design maximises the space of the living areas while offering convenient upstairs access
To view our full range of functional home designs, explore: Our Two Storey Home Designs.