A popular new year’s resolution is to declutter and organise the home. We all know what an overwhelming task that can be so to ensure you welcome the year with a calm and welcoming home, make sure you follow your tips on how to banish the clutter in 2018!
Start with a strategy:
You are likely to feel overwhelmed very quickly if you just start cleaning aimlessly.
Make a plan on how you plan to tackle each room and give yourself a time frame so the process doesn’t drag on forever. *HINT – Start with the large visible cleaning first, the stuff that’s be lying there bugging you for ages! 🙂
For the entryway or hallway
- Try to keep this area as minimal as possible.
- All you really need is a console table or storage, a mirror and a few decorative items if you wish. *HINT, mirrors can help spaces feel larger!
- Depending on the size of the area and or how minimal you want to keep it, other functional items to add include some seating, hooks or a shoe rack.
- Make sure you clean the area regularly and keep the items to one side of the area only!
For the Kitchen
- Clear the benchtop of anything that doesn’t belong there and make sure only items used daily are placed there.
- Get rid of any utensils you have excess of, expired food items and appliances you have no use for.
- Purchase drawer divides, canisters and clear containers and label everything!
- As a general rule, make sure everything has a home, items are categorised and the countertop is basically clear.
For the Bedroom
- Begin with clearing all surfaces, put away items piling up on your bedside table, clothes that can be hung up or in the wash and a crowded chest of drawers.
- Approach your closet with the rule of: ‘If it hasn’t been worn in the past year or two, give it away’. Then you can organise the clothes you’re keeping into the appropriate category.
- If you have any furniture items that are being used as a dumping ground rather than its purpose, it might be time to get rid of it if you don’t intend to clean it regularly.
For the Bathroom
- The vanity should only contain items you use daily and try to keep the items in one place or in a canister or bowl.
- Throw away expired products and items that have been used in the last few months.
- Organise your items into storage containers or baskets.
- Use a shower caddy to try and get all your items in one place.
For the Living Room
- Make sure your living room isn’t over crowded by furniture. A right size couch, TV console, side tables and a lamp should cover it.
- Create permanent storage solutions or spaces for regularly used items such as remote controls or books.
- Tidy and de-clutter this space regularly. Make sure items are put away, surfaces are clear, and that cushions and blankets and are in the right spot.
These are some tips to get you started on all the general rooms, just remember when tackling the rest of your house: Keep surfaces to the bare minimum! – Less is more!